Just another egotistical bum who feels the world would benefit from his daily, blue collar observations and philosophies.

Friday, April 9, 2010

dunnn.dunnn..dun dun dun....danananana dun dun dun: The greatest guitarists in history (Part 1 of 3)


Ok...I've been inactive with the blog and have been WANTING to write. But...this 2nd shift gig is kicking my ass and making me lazy the other 16 hours of the day that I'm NOT at work. However...today is Friday and I have a little burst of energy before I punch that clock. And..I've been wanting to do my own list of favorite 6 string slingers to combat those other bloated lists that always end with Jimmy Page and Jimmy Hendrix. Some of my pics may be obvious...but several probably have never shown up on ANY list. Anway....without further a do.....


BIGGY STARDUST's TOP 10 GUITARISTS OF ALL TIME (part 1)!!!!!


10) Deniz Tek (Radio Birdman). RB were a a wonderful Austrailian punk rock band from the early 70's that combined the sonic attack of Detroit's MC5, along with the surf rock reverb of the Ventures. Tek was actually FROM Detroit and brought that sound along with him to Birdman. I have always thought that he should part of that group of guitarists that included Wayne Kramer and Ron Asheton. Sadly, his name isn't as recognizable as their's. Favorite Tek moment? His solo in the Birdman tune "Snake".


9) Eddie Ojeda/Jay Jay French (Twisted Sister). Yes...I put 2 guitarists in one spot. I group them together because they are really one....kind of in the same way Tipton and Downing are thought of. Anway, I imagine alot of people would say "Uh...you mean those guys from that We're Not Going To Take Anymore video?" But yeah, I highly admire this band along with these 2 guy. TS provided the soundtrack to my youth. But upon further investigation, Twisted Sister had alot more to offer than a few campy video's. First off, of all the bands of that time...I'd say their obvious competetion would be Motley Crue and WASP. However, they lacked the fake L.A. feel to their music. Originally and always from Brooklyn, Sister actually retained a certain level of danger. I always thought Quiet Riot and Ozzy were a joke...but Dee Sinder and the boys could, and would, kick your ass up and down the street. And probably still would today. Also, I've also recognized that Eddie Ojeda, despite his nickname "Fingers", never feel into the trap of having to churn out meaningless Randy Rhodes/EVH finger tapping nonsense. He stuck closer to a blue structure and never really deviated. Favorite moment? The controlled feedback that runs underneath most of the song "Stay Hungry".


8)Brian May (Queen). I'm a Queen fan. But I really think I'm a BIGGER fan of Brian May. Queen songs that feature less Brian May interest me very little. I enjoy the multi-instrumenalist aspect of the whole band. But it's Brian's guitar sound that holds them as a unit and binds them and keeps them constant. A unique guitar sound is something not found everyday. His sound is SO unique that he can be recognized with the plucking of ONE note on his self-designed/constructed guitar. Favorite Brian May moment? His solo on "Stone Cold Crazy".


Anyway....3 down, 7 to go. To be continued soon....

No comments:

Post a Comment